Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Dear, New Westminster

I was having trouble sleeping, the beds in Canada always seem so much more firm than the beds in the states. Since I visit so often, I have come to expect it and no longer find it a shock to my system. This is the first time I have stayed in New Westminster...and possibly the most lovely of spots to have decided on for my weekend of derby. I'm staying at the Inn at the Quay, an odd looking building but nicely kept, quiet and close to everything it seems. I slept with the balcony door open, but since I'm awake I decided to sit outside for a little while. New Westminster is still sleeping, but the sun will soon rise. From my relaxed position on the seat I can see the tug boats lined up and moored waiting for their assignments. I can hear the "fwap fwap" of the pigeons wings and every now and then I hear the quiet cooing as they cuddle up together in the morning air. In the background I hear the stead drip of gathered rain, the occasional seagull yelling that it's time to wake up...



I get lost in thought until there's a whirring noise that takes my attention...it's the sky train a block away pulling into New West Station. In about four minutes I will see it again as it climbs and crosses the bridge spanning the Fraser River. The suns rays are finally breaking over the mountains to the East of me, beautifully framing this little oasis that is mine for two days. The boardwalk that was bustling with energy and activity last night, is empty now save it be a few runners getting their early morning workouts in. Something else grabs for my attention, it's the "pssshhh" of the brakes releasing their grip on the train by the market just below me.

There is just a slow drizzle going on, the air is crisp and clear...with a soft hint of the water way that meanders before me. Much like my thoughts...they meander and flow with little direction or urgency. I wonder to myself what this place looked like before all the people, all the buildings, before the busy and hectic world took over...how must it have looked and sounded. Could any of the early settlers even begin to imagine the way the world is now? Would they like it? Would they make any changes?

I can feel the warmth of the suns rays quietly brushing along my skin, I look up to see the most beautiful sight...New Westminster, you have touched my soul, whispering to me, gently calling my name and I thank you for this brief moment in time where everything outside of this moment has faded away.

Thank you. <3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment