Friday, June 14, 2013

Jet City made me LEGIT

I have to say that over the last 3 seasons with the Jet City Rollergirls my life has evolved in ways that I didn't really think possible. No, I don't skate...I'm just not cut out to do that kind of coolness. However, I've learned there are various levels of coolness in derby. And while I don't get the chance to run up the score as a jammer, make a beautiful hit to lay out an opposing jammer or make a solid wall to keep my team ahead in the game...I get to take part in many other aspects of the game that have come to mean so much more to me. Yes they are not as glorified or "valued" as that of a Rollergirl but embrace them as extensions of who I am. Each job I take very seriously, Non Skating Official (NSO) and Photographer. Yes, I tried my hand for one bout at bench coaching, it seems I just wasn't ready for that...but I promise you...that is the next job I want to learn and conquer.

Jet City has given me the chance to learn how to NSO and hopefully become a great representative of this amazing league, they have allowed me to learn and practice my derby photography to the point that Wild West Showdown 2013 used an image I had taken to pimp their 3 day event.


Then I get the honor of having one of my photographs grace the back of the April 27th bout flyer.
Front
 Back


And then again, the same photo makes it onto the May the Fourth Be With You flyer that was hosted by Jet City, the I-5 Rollergirls and Rat City.
 Front
Back

This is the photo in a larger format...

While I am not anywhere near the level of talent as those whose photos surround mine on the flyers, I am so happy and amazed just to have been on the flyer with them. I feel like I just may be legit now as a derby photographer. Or maybe close...maybe just the git part. :)

It is very much an honor to belong to such an amazing league that affords me such respect and chances to better myself. Watch out coaches...I'm coming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment