Wednesday, March 13, 2019

It's been a while

So my dad called me the other day and expressed disappointment over the fact that I haven't been updating my blog regularly. More specifically, like a year. And honestly I have thoughts every now and then about needing to update it, but then the moment passes and time moves on and pretty soon I blink and years pass by. My job at PACT is a prime example, it was the first job I took after graduating with my MSW...I had no plans on being there long because I wanted to work in the school district but found the educational system too hard to get into. Months went by and then years and last time I really gave my attention to it, I was thrilled that I had reached the two year mark. This September will mark 12 years. I blinked and BAM!!! More than 150 staff have come and gone in the program that I work in, in fact so many have come and gone I stopped counting. Time has significantly passed and it's been a rough ride in the mental health system. Those of you who know me, know that when asked what I do for my job I say..."I try and keep the things that go bump in the night, from going bump in the night." It remains true even though drugs and alcohol have overwhelmed the system and resources have disappeared. We don't have the funding to help these people, finding appropriate care is all but impossible...yet I continue to operate like everything is good. Right now, it's like being on fire and holding still so the flames don't spread so fast. The disaster is all but certain, but to what extent...I know most people have no idea what I am referencing, but since I have to follow the confidentiality hubbub, the most I can say is ride the wave....learn to swim. It's only just now starting...

All that being said I was really miffed at a recent article in the Live in Everett online newsletter. The article I am referencing was written by Christopher Bragg entitled "The Eyes Have It: Everett's Best Views." You click on the link and the first section that receives large attention is a section called

GO DOWNTOWN AND GET HIGH

Dude are you serious?? How did that even make it past your editor? Everett has long been the center of drug jokes, homelessness and most recently national YouTube attention for "Tweeker Cam." We have been the laughing stock of the Western part of the state and even recently have been the focus of the opioid crisis. So for you to title that section of your article in that manner is horribly inconsiderate and lacking a mature level of mindfulness. I'm disappointed. The article could have been so much more and really added light to an otherwise beautiful city. This is truly disappointing and leaves me shaking my head wondering "what were you thinking?"

https://www.liveineverett.com/blog/the-eyes-have-it-everetts-best-views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et90HDKKKB8

No comments:

Post a Comment