Thursday, November 25, 2010

For these, I give thanks...

It is once again Thanksgiving, my what a difference a year can make in ones life. I'm still learning the in's and out's of forgiveness, when to hold my tongue, to whom I should be loyal, and when enough is enough and being okay with saying no more. Mom had Thanksgiving dinner with family while I had to work and by the time I had finished, I was just too tired to engage in any festivities. I know mom wants me to be more active with the family, but sometimes I feel too distant. It is hard to suddenly have family around when growing up it was just mom and I. In any event, she had a great time and I got to watch football, which is always a wonderful thing. I will admit to feeling sadness knowing that people all over the world were enjoying friends and family, and I was not. I figured it was good practice for what my life would be like without my mom. So of course, my greatest amount of thanks goes to my mother, who is my best friend and greatest source of strength and inspiration. I am thankful for my job, despite its ability to suck the life from me at times. In these troubling times, I am thankful that I have a job and a super supportive supervisor who actually likes and cares about my clinical opinions. I am thankful for family that is close enough to spend time with, like I mentioned earlier, that has not always been the case...while the family I feel closest to (Parsons) are in Utah and I miss them dearly, I find the Barlow's and Ingebretsons' to be very accepting of me and I love them for that.

I am thankful for a happy, loving and spiritual home. I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, my brother and for Heavenly Father. I am thankful that I have my health (not great health but good) and that my mother is in my life daily. I am thankful for Roxy and Jozie and the love and happiness then add to the family. My thanks extends to my father as well, I am thankful for the man he has grown into and for the relationship we have now as adults. I am thankful that I survived my exgirlfriend...though it does off and on continue to grasp at my soul. I am thankful for a psychiatrist that listens to me and helps the best he can, and for the meds that help keep me alive despite the times that I feel like I would rather be dead. I am thankful that God has given me the chance to live this life, be who I am and find my way through this life with free agency even when I make the wrong choices.

I am thankful for my physical therapist who listens to my body when I don't even know what is going on with my body. She is amazing and my life is better for knowing her, even though many days I still have pain with each step I take. I am thankful that I was able to get season tickets to the Rat City Rollergirls and that my friend Jen will be going with me. I am thankful for my family both near and far, for the love and support I get from those who love me without judgement for being gay. I am thankful for a faith that reminds me that I am a child of God, when the voices of man try to tell me I am worthless or a mistake.

I know there are many more things I am thankful for, but I wanted to make sure to make note of what I could. I would be remiss if I let this Thanksgiving go by without expressing thanks for all that I have. I am very thankful for the blessings I get daily, especially the blessings I don't even know about. I am thankful for so much, and I continue to pray for those with less, that they find happiness and warmth in a world that is becoming more and more cold and unforgiving.

I pray for my clients who teach me new things each and every day, and pray for the continued patience to deal with their chronic symptoms...and give thanks that I can provide care for them.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone I love, and to those I have yet to love. If you have a little extra left over...please give some to those without.

1 comment:

  1. Working with chronically mentally is such a gift to the world and to ourselves. It is this wonderful thing that I get to be a part of. Sometimes it gives such meaning and richness to life. It fills me with such appreciation for my meds and the balance they allow me so that I can support others. I love my job and all the it affords me emotionally spiritually and intellectuality. gw

    ReplyDelete