Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My best birthday gift...

For those that don't know, during my final year of grad school I did an internship at a local middle school where I got to know the students very well, both in and out of class since I coached Volleyball. Possibly my most favorite birthday ever was that year...I walked into the cafeteria during lunch and the 8th graders sang Happy Birthday to me. It was awesome. Then at the end of the day at the start of Volleyball practice all the girls sang Happy Birthday to me again. I almost cried. Those kids were amazing and I still have contact with some of them now and they reach me occasionally over facebook or email when they have questions or concerns that they don't feel safe enough to talk about with their teachers, counselors or family. My kiddos are now Seniors and Juniors in high school. I have watched them grow from awkward little kids to young adults and they never cease to amaze me. I got an email from one of my kiddos for my birthday and I wanted to share it...

"Hey girl, just wanted to wish you a VERY special birthday tomorrow! I hope your day is as amazing as you are!! You deserve the absolute best this year and always. My biggest role models and idols in life are those people that go after their dreams 110% of the way, and those who live and breath every second of it. They are hilarious, kind, caring, and loving. And if I were to go down that list and check off the qualities that you have...that list would be all filled out.
When I see your status's and videos you post about living the derby life, it inspires me to go after my dreams with the same amount of gusto that you bring. Thanks for being such a light in my life...even if you didn't know that before! :) So here's to you! Tomorrow is your day....live it...dream it...become it!
I'm so proud of you and hope to see you again someday before i move!!! deal?? :)
Love ya girl, have fun!"

The first time I have been driven to tears by one of my kiddos aside from the time I said goodbye to them and they all yelled that they loved me during an assembly. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my chaos or self pity that I forget that there have been times that I did make a difference in someones life. It is true that people watch us without our knowing...learning from us, for better or worse. I love them dearly, even the ones that don't talk much to me anymore. That experience I will never forget and I don't think any experience will ever rival that year. I felt so loved and appreciated. They have no idea all they taught me. Yesterday was my birthday, it was good. Lots of people made comments or gave me cards...but honestly, the above email was the best part. I love you...and you know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday again Deb. Now that you are sooo old, you need more than one birthday wish. That is an email you'll want to keep and frame to re-read to help keep your spirits up. Thanks for sharing.

    Love ya....

    ReplyDelete