Sunday, April 10, 2011

Evolution into Derby


I have been meaning to write for some time now, yet when I sit down to compose my thoughts I can't seem to stop the them long enough to put them to paper(screen). The last few weeks have been busy...I am doing something derbyish almost every night of the week, which I totally love. I started "skating" with Seattle Roller Derby on Tuesday nights and have met some wonderful and amazing people. Thursdays I am getting my NSO on with the Jet City Rollergirls. Saturdays get reserved for Emerald City Co-op skating at the Rat's Nest in Seattle. Any days not listed I hang at home or go see other bouts that are happening up and down the I-5 corridor. I have been embraced by Jet City and enjoy watching them bout...as they had two excellent bouts this last Saturday. These girls hit hard...really hard. For some reason, they seem to hit and land harder than those players on Rat City. I like the venue where Jet plays...it is smaller, and you are closer to the action and the players. Feels more comfortable and the players are more approachable. I had an extra good time because I got to spend the time with a new great friend, Dixy DethDlr from the Bellingham Betties, Red from Emerald City Co-op/Seattle Roller Derby and none other than the worshiped Quadzilla. He is like a god to most of the derby world, to me he is just another guy. But a very funny one. It was an experience sitting with derby royalty.
This was the first time I actually got to meet Dixy face to face after a month or so of texting/emailing and facebooking. I have to say, she is an amazing woman...and a superfantabulous skater. Simply amazing. I look forward to our friendship.
Dixy got into the bouts free for volunteering...here she is "guarding" the door. She may be small, but she can knock you to the floor.

Not only has Jet City embraced me with open arms, so too has the Rose City Rollergirls in Portland. While I am not down there, a friend of mine has talked with them and they are very much in need of a fan and person like myself. They want me to volunteer and help out, and they want to teach me to skate. I've actually had members of some local leagues tell me that once I learn to skate, they would love me to be on their team. For once in my life, being fat...er, large is accepted and desired. While I may not be skating as well as I would like to be, I can now stand up in my skates and use my toe-stops. It may only be 2% of what I need to know, but dang it, it's something. In the meantime, I am learning the details of the sport...derby has gone from this macro level of viewing where as a fan I just see the game and the players to as an NSO, micro level of watching all the characters that play a role in making sure the bouts even happen. From the set up, to the take down...there are a lot of people involved and a lot happening that the general fan has no clue about. I am learning rules, conduct, tracking, penalty tracking, score keeping, line tracking etc. It is intense...and I'm loving every freaking minute of it.

This sport has totally changed my life...I know I can't compare it to the birth of Jesus...but it holds that strong of a marker in my life. There is deb pre-derby and deb post-derby. Post derby I am diz ruptive thunder...number 120 decibels. I have derby sisters from all over the world who cheer me on, encourage me and make me laugh. I have met some amazing women here in the Northwest that want me to succeed...who treat me like a great person, who laugh at my jokes...and not at me. They listen when I complain, they tell me to get up when I fall...and had it not been for derby, none of them would be in my life. How sad is that?

Life is odd...mysterious and challenging. This time last year was horrible for me...my then girlfriend had stopped loving me and was just with me because she didn't want to break up. And then she started cheating on me. Life was at an end...I was done. I was prepared to kill myself, knowing that I would be alone in this world (mom I'm not saying you aren't there for me, you are my best friend so please don't be offended). Then derby came into my life...and I was reborn. If derby was a religion...I would convert. Somehow I think God had this in mind though, and he saved it for just the right time. While I have struggled and continue to be challenged, and while there are people/leagues that shun me...derby as a whole has changed my life...I have evolved. I can't wait to see how this turns out.


1 comment:

  1. You spend too much time in your head. That is your downfall. Once you can free your mind, your skates will follow. You love derby almost as much as derby loves you. Have faith, practice, don't get down on yourself. We all get frustrated. Keep trying. Eventually something inside will snap and it will all make sense. To rid the world of you, would be a shame. To rid derby of your would be horrible for all of us.

    ReplyDelete