Saturday, April 2, 2011

Derby Lessons...

Since entering the derby world 6 months ago, I have come to realize many things. I also realize that while I have learned much, there is still more yet waiting. So in no particular order, here is some of what I have come to know...

-Derby can be like middle school, with cliques and posse's and people who think they are better than you.
-Derby is like life...you get out, what you put in.
-Derby is like a family. You can tease each other but if someone from outside the family does the teasing, all heck can break loose.
-Derby is more than a sport, it is a way of life....and becomes life.
-Derby brings with it sorrow and pain that can almost break you.
-Derby brings with it unparalleled happiness, joy and love you otherwise would never know.
-Derby gives you friends that are there to pick you up when you fall down.
-Derby gives you friends that cheer you on, when you don't think you can skate one more lap.
-Derby gives you friends who believe in you when you question all you know.
-Derby gives you friends who accept you regardless of what you do, who you know, what you look like or how fat you are.
-Derby challenges everything you think you know about yourself.
-Derby humbles you.
-Derby makes you grow not only as a skater, but as a human being.
-Derby is hard. Really hard.
-Derby brings together people from different walks of life from every corner of the world.
-Derby makes you want to live a healthier life.
-Derby has bitches.
-Derby has heroes.
-Derby gives you a chance to prove yourself...as a failure or a success.

I have had good and bad experiences so far in derby...I've had people judge me, hate me, talk trash and lie about me. I've also had people encourage, love and cheer for me even though they didn't really know me. When I have been at my lowest in this sport, there has always been a hand sticking out, waiting for me to grab hold and get back up. Where there is heartache and exclusion given from one league...there is happiness and acceptance given from another league. I have been very blessed to have such love and support in my life...and friendship granted to me for no other reason than my love of the sport.

Over the last month, I have gone from giving up on it and walking away entirely, to a renewed love and appreciation for the details of the sport I so dearly care for. I am thankful for Anya Heels, Cavina, Red, Scissor, Melissa, Jennifer, Dixy, Susan, Gretchen, Jessica, Barney, LeAnn, Helen, Grace, Karma, Pandora, Pax, Vani, Maximum Stride and Tiffany. If I left someone out, please let me know and I will rectify the situation.

Oh...I have a derby name now. Diz Ruptive Thunder number 120 decibels. The name courtesy of Dixy DethDlr and the number courtesy of Anya Heels.

1 comment:

  1. So true Deb. Without any kind of failure we would never truly understand success. The learning curve with derby changes frequently. You will never stop learning physically or mentally. You are the true hero, facing a new challenge is hard.

    ReplyDelete