Tuesday, October 12, 2010

L x 4 =?

The other day when I was lying out in the lawn with Roxy...well, I was lying and she was running the fence line barking at anything that dare come near her property...I found myself gazing up at the sky and watching the clouds make funny little shapes and designs. It was hypnotizing in a way that time goes by and you don't really feel it. Out of my revere I was suddenly pulled as a little wet nose and tongue licked at my face and at the other end a little tail wagging to the point I thought she may take flight. We wrestled a bit and then she saw something out of the corner of her eye and off she ran to bark at the boys next door. I have yet to figure out if she is annoyed with them and their running around or if barking at them is her way of playing along.
Anyway, I began looking at the grass, I need to mow the lawn I thought running my fingers through the lengthy blades of deep green patches. I started picking at some of the moss in front of me, thinking that I wish I could get rid of it but this is Washington after all and moss comes with the territory...and slugs. Something caught my eye and I noticed an oddity in the clovers that intermingled with the grass and moss...a four leaf clover. I picked it, thinking about how luck is such a fickle thing and wondering whether or not 4 leaf clovers really are lucky. As I studied the fragile clover I noticed a beautiful change in color throughout all the petals...the outside and inside were a dark green with a light zig-zagging of white separating the two ends. As I began to drift into my thoughts, I noticed not one, not two but three more 4 leaf clovers. A rather large one, about the size of a silver dollar and others matching sizes comparable to a nickle or penny. I picked the largest and the smallest of the four, and left two behind to feel the warmth of the sun and the dew from early morning.
So I got to thinking more about luck, does finding one give you luck and does two cancel out the one? What kind of luck do you get when you find four? Is luck really luck, or just a good mistake or coincidence? I've heard that there are no coincidences in life...that things happen as they should, as if destiny was pre-planned. Which then begs the question of if luck could possibly exist...if our path is already laid before us, is a four leaf clover going to add anything or change the course in any way? Are we active participants in our own life or do we just enjoy the ride and let it go however it is to go? Do any of our actions alter that pre-destined path?
So I wonder, what does luck times four equal...

No comments:

Post a Comment