Thursday, October 7, 2010

My best friend...



I wanted to take time out to talk about my very best friend...my mom. She is the most amazing and wonderful woman I have ever known. She is a single mother who met my every need as a child, worked hard to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. I lacked nothing, especially love. Every day she told me she loved me, and I her. She worked long hours for little pay, went to school part time...often I would go with her to the night classes she was in to either do my home work or sleep on the cafeteria table until she was done. I credit (in part) Ann Murray because when mom and I lived in Tenino, there was a thirty minute commute to get into school and work in Olympia. On the ride in, we would sing to Ann's songs and on the way home, we had plenty of time to talk about our day and bond. Growing up our home was always the one my friends wanted to hang out at, it was safe and mom never turned anyone away for any reason. She was, as my friends put it, the "cool mom." I never disagreed. In high school we went through our tough times and there were plenty of chances for us to fall apart and go separate ways, but she hung with me through all my moods, my changes, my ins and outs with the church and always accepted me for me. She defended me when others were hell bent on tearing me down. I in turn defended her against the snobs at church that looked down on her for being a single mother. She is without a doubt the most caring, compassionate, intelligent, fun loving, loyal woman I have ever known...a beautiful white tulip in a sea of red ones.

There were times we argued, didn't see eye to eye, but we respected each other and compromise was the one of the biggest lessons she has ever taught me. To this day, I can easily recite the two rules/lessons that she taught me 1. Don't touch what doesn't belong to you. 2. A mother's love is forever. Two things that have kept me sane...the first has kept me from having a criminal record and the second is always there to remind me that when no one else may love me, she does. When I grow up, if I am half the woman she is...I will have made something of my life. She has worked hard to get where she is now, and I will always speak about her with great respect and reverence. Every time I would leave to go to a party or hang out with friends, her parting words were always the same, "I love you, have fun and remember who you are." She has always been there for me, given me the benefit of the doubt, taught me high morals and ethical standards...and still does with every day she is in my life. I feel bad that I am the end of her genetic line, it is a shame to have it wasted on me...if I could, I would want the world to know what a great and wonderful woman she is, and those that know her have no idea how lucky they are that she is in their life. I would gladly give my life for my mom, her love and acceptance has kept me alive in some of my most horrible times. I don't know how I managed to be so lucky as to have her as my mother AND my best friend...but what I do know is that I live each day of my life to make her proud. And I hope that someday I can. Like a rare flower, she is beautiful, fragile yet strong and purposeful.

I love you mom, more than words could ever describe. You are my best friend, an incredible mother who has worked hard for what you have and succeeded when so many others would have failed. I'm sorry for my mistakes and the growth pains that I put you through...please know that I live my life to make you proud of me and I hope that someday I can "do right by you." You are amazing and I thank God every day that you are my best friend and that you are in my life. Oh, I thought I should change your rule up a little...a daughter's love is forever. Remember I have loved you all my life...I win!


2 comments:

  1. I am enormously proud of you! Thank you for such kind words. I am humbled by them and the sentiments you have expressed. My work as a Mom was made easier because you were so good, too. Love you! And you don't win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sacred thing being a single mother. One is entrusted with the care of a baby that grew in the womb, through birth and beyond. It is very admirable, the relationship you two have with each other. What I read is joy and gratefulness for what you've got and a decision to set your sites on the far horizon. This writer is thankful that the little hitch in your giddyup didn't last too long. This writer is thankful for Deb's honesty and forthrightness, putting everything out there to see. I am a coward in comparison. This is my growth edge and you influence me every day to open my grip and stop keeping my life very private. I am inspired by your candor, you wisdom, honor of your mother and willingness to look at painful things with your eyes wide open. That takes natural courage. You own it...most people need to learn it.

    ~MMM/Cricket-LOL

    ReplyDelete