Monday, June 7, 2010

Milestones...mini markers of progress

Today would have been my ex's and I's 19 month anniversary...though we never really made it to 18 months. Come to think of it, it lasted 8 months longer than she would have wanted it to but I thought today would be really hard for me being our anniversary date. Surprisingly, it wasn't. Today actually marks a major milestone, today I was able for the first time in about a month to listen to the radio. I had to stop listening early in May because every song in some form or another reminded me of her...her love, her friendship, her little boy...the future that slipped through my fingers no matter how hard I held on. There are still some songs that make my heart weep, and my soul cry out for the love I once had...but I can keep it together much easier now. I can laugh and smile without feeling like my very essence is a lie. It is slow going, but going nonetheless...some days are easier than others but I was blessed that today wasn't as hard as it could have been, for this soul is still weary from the swinging tides of losing someone you had planned to live forever with.
I am beyond grateful for my family members that have stepped in to try and fill the cavern in my heart that still remains and will likely remain for some time. I have spent a lot of time with them lately, and regardless of how they feel about my being a lesbian, they by all appearances love me anyway. Their children bring me much happiness but also make me sad for the loss of Z in my life. He is often on my mind, in my prayers but I know he has many wonderful people in his life to care for him.
I am also thankful for those members of my family that attend the temple who have put my name on the prayer list...I feel a remarkable sense of calm lately that was lacking just two weeks ago when I was an absolute mess. I still don't feel that God hears me, but I know that those who are lucky enough to go inside the temple have a special audience with Him...and I thank my family for all the prayers all across the US, in more temples than I could ever know. I am by no means over my recent heartache, but every day I gain more perspective and everyday, I come to realize that there are others in my life that love me...those I may not even know personally. I would feel lost right now without the loving guidance of my friends and family as some days I barely hang on. But for now, the ripping of my soul has stopped and the blood no longer gushes freely...no matter how you see it, it is progress.

7 comments:

  1. I thought I should start commenting since I have been reading every blog entry! You are so eloquent as a writer. But I am so happy you are starting to feel a bit better. Hooray for the radio. Music is my lifeline during the day as far as my energy goes. I listen to music a lot to pick up my mood! We should share music. Kay, have a good sleep... hopefully you can get to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    Good to hear you are starting to rise from the ashes. Nice analogy with the Phoenix. Get ready to spread your new wings.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Progress! May it continue... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, progress is good. Jer and I have been together it seems forever now, and I love him more every day. If he were suddenly gone, and I had to go through your heartache, it would wound me deeply. I know though, that I would prevail, because that is the live God has given to us. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day at a time, Deb. Thinking of you!
    Ronni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy Deb that you and Marsha are close and spend time with Andra's family and Adam and Tess. Continue to pray for strength and guidance and we will pray for you also. Love, KaJeen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems you are turning the corner...you continue to be in my prayers

    MMM

    ReplyDelete